2026年7月23日 星期四

The Phantom Pregnancy: When Hysteria Meets the Front Desk

 

The Phantom Pregnancy: When Hysteria Meets the Front Desk

There is a touching, profoundly naive belief that modern human beings possess a baseline grasp of their own biology. We love to fancy ourselves rational, evolved creatures navigating a scientific world of empirical certainty. Then, a patient walks into a clinic on a Friday, marches straight up to the front desk with absolute terror in her eyes, and whispers, "Nurse, I think I've had a miscarriage."

You stare at her, your brain momentarily buffering. "Er, this isn't quite the right place for that; you really should head to A&E."

"Well, I'm only suspecting it," she stammers. "It hasn't fully happened yet."

Alarm bells start ringing. "How far along are you?"

"I honestly can't remember." What a breathtakingly casual approach to human reproduction.

"When was your last period? Did you track it?"

"Oh, I know that one! It literally just finished on Monday."

You glance down at the calendar. Today is Friday. Your baby has been marinating in existence for a grand total of less than four days? Take a deep breath. The universe is full of mysteries, but parthenogenesis on a Tuesday is usually not one of them.

"Forgive me," you say, trying to keep your voice from fracturing. "How, exactly, did you conclude you were pregnant in the first place?"

"I just felt it," she replies, deadpan.

At this point, a violent urge to introduce her skull to the nearest drywall flashes across your mind.

"Right. And what makes you think you're having a miscarriage?"

"Well, I went to the toilet just now, and there was blood in the bowl."

Ah. Of course. The classic four-day gestation cycle terminating in existential dread over a routine biological function.

Human history is essentially a grand, chaotic museum of mass delusion, where our primitive, anxiety-raddled brains constantly invent existential crises out of sheer air. We like to laugh at medieval peasants who blamed crop failures on witchcraft, but modern urbanites are just as wonderfully unhinged. Give us a drop of bodily fluid, a touch of indigestion, and an internet connection, and we will happily diagnose ourselves with everything from rare tropical parasites to a spontaneous immaculate conception gone wrong. Civilization is merely a thin sheet of glass stretched over an abyss of absolute cluelessness, and every now and then, someone drops a hammer right through it.